Friday, April 29, 2011

February: People Don't Notice Whether It's Winter or Summer When They're Happy

Since I'm still in catch up mode, I didn't feel like making a million posts for February... so here is our February in a nutshell! It started out with a celebration of our 6 month month-aversary. I would say anniversary, but Jeff and Alisha have nicely pointed out that anniversary denotes years, so that actually doesn't make any sense, and I don't know a better word for a celebration of six months. Anyone know one? Well, we went to The Roof in downtown SLC on February 6 because the Joseph Smith Memorial Building gave us two vouchers for two meals each for having our wedding reception there. I think it was a mistake - they probably only meant to give us one, but since we had two we decided to use them on our 6 month month-aversary and our one year anniversary! Pretty sweet set up. We had a wonderful time drinking mango and raspberry lemonades, devouring the best rolls in the state, eating prime rib, and gazing into each others' eyes and being in love.
Ze Roof
Being in wove
(It's ok, we're married.)
Then came Valentine's Day. It turns out that Valentine's Day is actually a pretty fun holiday when you actually have a Valentine! (Twas a rare occasion for some of us... don't judge.) Sooo I thought it was only appropriate to make pink waffles for breakfast! Yum. Now I just need to get my hands on a heart shaped waffle maker for next year... I know they exist because my freshman roommate Laura had one that we used every Sunday back in the day... maybe I'll just hunt her down and steal it in her sleep. She'll never suspect me.
DON'T I HAVE THE CUTEST HUSBAND IN THE WORLD???????
Look at that face... all dressed up in his little work clothes... with his little fork...
And theeeen... toward the end of the month, we decided it was time to try to make our own bread. I'd never made bread before in my life, or even thought about it, but I did watch a lot of amazing Croatian women do it and found a fool-proof recipe on allrecipes.com which made it pretty easy.
Look, it wasn't a total disaster. Miracles do happen, after all.
And it was about time, because I was getting really tired of trying every brand of
whole wheat bread in the grocery store and never being pleasantly surprised with it.
So now we just make it and freeze it.
And this is my laptop with my dad in Hong Kong - we were torturing him with our fresh-out-of-the-oven bread during our Sunday chat. He was not too happy about that. Heh heh heh. Sucker.
We made a Croatian creation out of it: stuffed sandwiches. Well, I'm sure it's not JUST Croatian, but that's where I first ate one! Just pull out the inside of the loaf, mix it with whatever's in your fridge, and stuff it back in with some lettuce and tomatoes. We used cottage cheese, feta cheese, mustard, green peppers, olives, salt and pepper, tomatoes... and I don't remember what else. Nuts maybe. So good. You should try it.
And, of course, we had to join in the Jimmer-mania.
I think my favorite poster from the season said, "Upstate New York changes the world... again!"
Go Cougars!

2 comments:

  1. I love how your rockin the kreso jersey.... I just saw this and thought... hey.. I have one of those too! :)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't even think about it! I'll hide it...

    ReplyDelete