Monday, June 20, 2011

SPRING! :D

"In the spring I have counted one hundred and thirty-six different kinds of weather inside of four and twenty hours." Did Mark Twain live in Salt Lake? Because the weather in April, May, and June this year has been alllll over the place! Geez, Utah, make up your mind! It is June 19th. I wore a coat today. Not cool.

Anyway.

APRIL

Started off with a visit from my dad (from Hong Kong) and my brother, sister-in-law, and niece (from Indiana) for Conference weekend! We schooled my dad repeatedly at card games, ate lots of good food, and I personally spent most of my time drooling over cute Minnie! Minnie also met her cousin Elliot for the first time, and in true Minnie fashion just sat there and stared at her while Elliot poked and kicked and played with her.


April also hosted one of our only double dates EVER. We are hermits sort of so this is a big deal. It was with our friends Julie and Leo. Julie and I are in the same semester in nursing school and met that way, and Nelson and Leo graduated from the business school at the same time and they knew each other that way. It took us forever to figure out the connection. The best part is that they will be moving to San Jose with us when Julie and I graduate in December since Leo and Nelson somehow ended up working for the same company, in the same office even, after graduation. SO nice to know someone before we even get there! Love them.
We made each other out of candy - here is everyone with their candy selves. Notice that Leo apparently thinks Nelson has a huge muffin top! (This continues to haunt him. Paranoia.)


We spent Easter with Nelson's family. Love them! I got to join in the tradition of lining up in order of ascending height to run into the living room for the Easter egg hunt. Although actually Preston totally squirmed his way in front of me! Maybe it's order of ascending age... ?? And I think Josh got in front of the line too (he's definitely not the shortest or the youngest)... BOYS. Meanwhile, Nelson had a grand ol' time making up his OWN tradition... THE EASTER PIRATE. We still don't know what the Easter Pirate does... but here's a picture. ? :)


The winter semester FINALLY came to a close, and my nursing semester had a huge sleepover in one of the girls' cabin in Midway to commemorate our last real didactic semester! In the fall we'll all be doing capstone at different hospitals and hardly see each other, so it was a much needed celebration. We played pin the needle in the bootie, guess which faculty member was taped on your back, which was HILARIOUS in many cases (thus the name tags... we didn't wear actual name tags...), and beat a pinata representing all the things we hate about nursing school. Oh, and also I was introduced to Wii dancing and I don't know how I lived my whole life without it. *If you own this game, please invite me over.*


And last but certainly not least, we celebrated Wendy's wedding! (Nelson's sister) So exciting! We spent the day before the wedding making sure everything was in order.
Last minute touch ups on the dress. Beautiful!
Brooke, Julie, and I waited and chatted outside. Fun to get some girl time in.
Then we had the immediate family wedding dinner that night and Wendy asked Nelson to make her a cake for the occasion. I guess as kids they would always make each other extravagant cakes out of funfetti mix... SO we did our best to make a Lake Powell cake! It turned out SO well...
Despite our preventative measures, the cakes wouldn't come out of the pans.
Kennedy and Preston weren't too upset about it.
So we did what any respectable person would do in this situation. Combine the crumbles from both pans, smear the frosting on top with our fingers, and add a lego boat.
Pretty! It says "Happy Wedding" in case you can't tell...
Do you see the Lake Powell resemblance?
Luckily, they laughed. The funny thing was that a lot of people still ate it...

The wedding day itself was perfect!
Aren't they cute?
The rest of the time we just enjoyed being with family!
I love this picture: Liam, Gianna, and Josh are all getting piggy backed to lunch from the temple grounds by Kennedy, Brad, and I. Classic.

And then... we finally bought kitchen chairs, a couch, and a washer and dryer for our apartment (eight months later...) and then April ended. Yippy.

2 comments:

  1. Fun month! PS - got your comment about pictures. Sheesh! Hold your horses! ;) I didn't take many Hawaii pictures outside of the wedding. Just didn't feel like lugging around my camera, but I'll post some. I put the non-wedding ones on facebook yesterday, so check 'em out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That cake was brilliant.

    I miss you crazy kids!

    ReplyDelete